A stepwise sustainability journey for Spartan
Spartan has been supplying high quality school bags, apparel and accessories to schools in Australia for over 30 years. Their success is very much attributed to dedicated staff, the consistent production of quality products and their strong sense of corporate responsibility – social and environmental.
Spartan’s commitment to corporate social and environmental responsibility is evident in a variety of their current operations. A sample of these includes:
- Product related design and material environmental improvements eg. EU REACH compliance; durability features
- Sponsorship and donations to various organisations and causes eg. World Vision, State Schools Relief Fund
- Auditing eg. Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production, Business Social Compliance Initiative
- Health related research and endorsements eg. Australian Physiotherapy Association, Chiropractors’ Association of Australia
As part of the company’s ongoing evolution, growth and goal to be the authority in the school bag market, senior staff at Spartan identified the need to further build on their existing noteworthy environmental credentials. Infoactiv was pleased to engage with them on this task and prepared a sustainability roadmap for the business.
A major milestone accomplishment on their sustainability journey is becoming one of the 900 signatories to the Australian Packaging Covenant (APC). The APC is a sustainable packaging initiative, which aims to change the culture of business to design more sustainable packaging, increase recycling rates and reduce packaging litter.
As an APC signatory, Spartan designed a 3-year action plan to implement a range of different initiatives to reduce their packaging footprint. Some actions include using biodegradable packaging, reusing export cartons for local buy strattera 40 mg deliveries, continue sourcing recycled material for their Eco Friendly Back Pack, changing to bulk ordering where possible to reduce packaging plastic and participating in future community-based litter reduction programs such as Clean Up Australia Day.
Spartan will submit an annual report to the APC detailing the progress made each year towards their action plan, which is part of being an APC signatory. This not only holds companies accountable, but also helps to fund new projects that are working towards the Covenant’s goals to increase recycling and reduce litter.
“We have also recently worked with Greenfleet to offset the carbon emissions associated with our 14 vehicle fleet, helping to reduce our overall carbon footprint,“ says James Marshman, Spartan’s Business Development Manager.
These are significant achievements and continue to demonstrate Spartan’s commitment to their community and the environment. Some future projects they will be taking on as part of their sustainability journey includes:
- Investigating the feasibility of certifying a range of their products through an independently certified Ecolabel
- Undertaking discussions with relevant social and environmental groups (ie. Planet Ark or Clean Up Australia) to collaborate on future community events
- Implementing, where evident, best practices to reduce environmental impact during Spartan’s office relocation
We look forward to continuing our collaboration with Spartan as they progress their work plan and implement specific sustainability measures across all aspects of the company and its products.
Stay tuned for updates on Spartan’s Sustainability Journey.
For more information contact:
Business Development Manager, Spartan
P: 03 9874 8955
Chief Sustainability Officer, Infoactiv
P: 03 8892 3929
- Posted by Victoria Fratin
- 0 Comments