Globe and Tube Recycling Services
Globe and tube recycling made easy
The ECOACTIV Globe & Tube Recycling service provides a low-cost, environmentally preferable solution for keeping globes and fluorescent tubes out of landfill, and making sure that toxic substances contained in some lamps are safely recovered and recycled. These products can also contain aluminium, glass, mercury and phosphor powders which can all be recycled and used in the manufacture of new products.
Facts and figures
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) and Fluorescent tubes contain mercury which is toxic to human health, and can have eco-toxicity impacts if they exceed certain minimum concentrations in the natural environment.
- According to the National Pollutant Inventory, 95% of mercury containing lamps are currently sent to landfill each year.
- The short term nature of the potential exposure (particularly after effective clean-up of broken CFL material) does not constitute a significant health risk to exposed adults (including pregnant women) or children.
- The recovery and recycling of globes and tubes will reduce pollution from landfills.
Recycling globes and tubes is important
Globes and tubes are a risk to human health and the environment if disposed of inappropriately. They also contain valuable materials such as aluminium, glass, phosphors and mercury, that can be recovered to reduce the use of finite natural resources.
- Mercury is particularly toxic and should be safely recovered to ensure it does not enter the environment by leaching into surface or ground water.
- Recycling globes and tubes will help to conserve valuable non-renewable resources.
- Recycling can also result in the recovery and reutilisation of aluminium, glass, phosphor and mercury.
- Removal of globes and tubes, and other e-waste from household waste will help to support the production of high quality organic products from alternative waste facilities.
- The Australian Government has listed ‘end-of-life handheld batteries’ as a class of products being considered from form of accreditation or regulation under the Product Stewardship Act 2011.
The opportunity to recycle globes and tubes in a safe and responsible way can help achieve a more environmentally oriented household, office or school. Be part of the solution by subscribing to ECOACTIV.
*Price includes shipping and recycling
What can I recycle
All globes and tubes typically used in household, school or office environments can be recycled through ECOACTIV. This includes:
- Linear Fluorescent Tubes (T5, T8, T12)
- Fluorescent U-Tubes
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)
- Mercury Vapour Lamps
- Metal Halide Lamp & Sodium Vapour Lamps
- UV Lamps
- LED tubes
- Neon Tubes
If in doubt please call the ECOACTIV Helpline with your queries: 1800 489 278
How it works
Recycling globes and tubes through ECOACTIV is straightforward and user-friendly. Our aim is to make globe and tube recycling uncomplicated, low cost, safe and environmentally sound.
ECOACTIV involves five key steps towards diverting globes and tubes from landfill and running a waste-wise household or office:
- Subscribe – Purchase the prepaid ECOACTIV Recycling service from our online shop. Once your order has been processed, an ECOACTIV Globe or Tube Collection Box will be dispatched within 5 working days.
- Fill – Place your Collection Box in a prominent to promote and encourage the recycling of globes and/or tubes.
- Secure – When the Collection Box is full, seal the plastic inner sleeve with the included cable tie and seal the box with adhesive tape to ensure that it’s safely sealed for transport.
- Return for recycling – Call ECOACTIV on: 1800 489 278 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a pick-up for your full box.
- Repeat – Purchase a replacement collection box from our online shop to continue recycling your globes or tubes with us.
Please note: all shipping and recycling is included in the price.
Used globes and tubes are potentially hazardous, so they need to be stored and handled carefully. They need to be kept out of reach of children. Some of the materials are toxic, so you need to be careful of damaged or broken items.
In an emergency situation you can call :
- Emergency: 000
- Poisons Hotline: 13 11 26
What happens to globes and tubes collected through ECOACTIV
Globes and tubes collected through ECOACTIV are safely transported to a specialist facility where they are processed in purpose built crushing equipment. The mercury is extracted through a distillation process ready for reutilisation. The crushing and separation process also extracts aluminium, glass and phosphor powders so they can be reused in new products and applications.
ECOACTIV Recycling solutions are managed by Infoactiv Group, a specialist product recovery and environment stewardship organisation that is focused on environmentally sound supply chain solutions for consumers, business and government agencies. Infoactiv is a member of the Global Product Stewardship Council and the Waste Management Association of Australian, and has an Environmental Management System that is independently certified to ISO14001.
At Infoactiv we are committed to meeting and exceeding customer expectations. We welcome your enquiries and encourage your feedback. Don’t hesitate to make contact if you have specific questions about ECOACTIV Battery Recycling. You can either ring our Helpline on: 1800 489 278 or email us at: email@example.com
For more information about our purchasing, privacy and refunds policies, look here.